Vegan mushroom pie with rosemary and crispy homemade phyllo dough.
Quick, very easy and incredibly delicious!
Mushroom pie is one of our favorite pies. It is quick, very easy, incredibly delicious, with a crunchy phyllo and a wonderful filling. But mostly… it's vegan!
The recipe for vegan mushroom pie is very simple. The filling has only 3 ingredients: mushrooms, garlic and rosemary. If we want, we can add vegan cheese, but no matter how we do it, it will turn out great! We can use any kind of phyllo dough we like, such as choriatiko or puff pastry. But we suggest you make your own homemade phyllo dough. It is very simple and only takes 5-10 minutes. If using ready-made, it is important to remember to thaw it at least 2 hours before (if it is frozen). Alternatively, we can use a ready-made refrigerator phyllo that can be used right away.
Our vegan mushroom pie is of course both vegetarian and fasting. In just one hour from now you can have an aromatic and crunchy mushroom pie on your plate! What are you waiting for?
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Mushroom pie with rosemary and homemade phyllo dough- Fasting & Vegan
Ingredients for the homemade handmade phyllo dough (for a medium pan about 24x32 cm).
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour (if you have, replace the ¼ of the cup with cornflour)
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red vinegar
Ingredients for the filling of the vegan mushroom pie
- 500 g mushrooms brown or white
- 1 Tbsp rosemary preferably fresh
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp vegan grated yellow cheese (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Vegan crispy phyllo dough
- Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl. First with a spoon and then kneading with your fists. We want our dough to be elastic and fluffy. If it crumbles, add a spoonful of water. If it sticks to your hands, add a spoonful of flour.
- Divide it into two equal pieces, flour your counter, and with a rolling pin (or other cylindrical object, even with a broomstick) spread two sheets in size slightly larger than your baking tray.
Vegan mushroom pie
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp towel, slice them and finely chop the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, over medium to high heat, and sauté the mushrooms with the rosemary for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes or until no liquid is left in the pan. At the end add the vegan cheese, salt and pepper and stir.
- Grease the pan, place one phyllo on the bottom, the mushrooms on top and at the end the second phyllo.
- Lightly grease the top phyllo with olive oil (or mixed with water), carve with a knife where the pieces will be cut and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/356°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Put the pan in the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes and then lower it to the first rack from below.
- You can add Florina peppers (which you will sauté with the mushrooms) and/or onion powder.
- If you want, you can sprinkle the mushroom pie with white or black sesame before putting it in the oven.