Tomato soup with orzo and a distinctive basil aroma!
Quick, simple, easy, frugal, and incredibly delicious!
Vegan, fasting, and vegetarian recipe in just 30 minutes!
The taste of the tomato soup lies in its simplicity. The absolute secret is to use ripe, deep red, and tasty tomatoes. And if you can find tomatoes that have ripened on the plant, you will thank us for the recipe.
The next secret is the vegetable broth. You can also make the tomato soup with water, but the vegetable broth gives a very rich flavor. You can easily make your own broth, simply by boiling an onion and a carrot along with ¼ teaspoon of curry, salt, and pepper, adding at the end two tablespoons of olive oil.
Our vegan recipe for tomato soup is very simple. What makes it unique is the basil. If you have fresh basil, add 5 leaves in the soup 5 minutes before it's done. It's enough time to release its aroma. It's distinctive, but it's what makes it stand out! If you don't have fresh basil, you can simply add a pinch of dried one. It will also give your tomato soup a delicious result.
Generally, it is common to add a sweetener to recipes with a lot of tomatoes, to cover its acidity. It's not necessary, as we lose an important characteristic of the tomato flavor, which is often what is required. But as it is a matter of taste, if you want, you can add some raw unprocessed sugar or agave syrup. Half a teaspoon is enough.
So off we go to our vegan tomato soup recipe! An every-day, but super enjoyable meal, ideal for first and main course, even for kids who usually prefer simple and clean flavors.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Tomato soup with orzo and basil notes in 30 minutes
Ingredients for vegan tomato soup
- 1½ cup orzo (preferably whole wheat)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 4 tomatoes grated or blended
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 bay fresh basil or ⅛ tsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp curry
- ¼ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 tsp unprocessed sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper
Vegan tomato soup
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil, over medium to high heat, and sauté the orzo for 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste (if you add any) and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Then, add all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Add whole the onion and garlic and remove them at the end. If you use fresh basil, add it 5 minutes before the end.
- Serve your vegan tomato soup warm, as an appetizer or as a main course. You can add extra freshly ground pepper. Accompany it with freshly baked bread or croutons that you'll add in our bowl.
- You can easily make your own vegetable broth simply by boiling an onion and a carrot (cut in half) with ¼ tsp curry, salt, and pepper, adding at the end 2 Tbsp olive oil, as well. You can also add Florina pepper, fresh celery, parsley, some basil or mint, tomato, garlic, turmeric, and ground coriander.