A simple, quick and incredibly tasty vegan dish. A great way to add another dimension to orzo with cinnamon and rosemary!
Its concept is similar to risotto. That is, sauté the orzo for a while, add a little broth and stir until it's absorbed or evaporated. Repeat and stir constantly. Stirring is what will make it orzotto and not just boiled orzo.
The secret to a delicious orzotto is at the broth and the stirring. The richer the broth, the more delicious the result. The more we stir, the better texture we will have in the end.
Orzotto is based on its texture. In the end, we want our food to have a relatively creamy texture. The orzo has to be soft on the outside and at the same time pleasantly crunchy in the center. Be careful not to make it soggy and the grains should be separate from each other.
Instead of broth you can use boiling water, but the broth is the key to success for this dish.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Orzotto with cinnamon and rosemary (vegan)
Broth (if we use ready-made broth or plain water, we will not need these ingredients)
- 4½ cups water
- 3 tomatoes grated
extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 leaf of leaves
- ½ tsp onion powder (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground allspice (or 4 whole seeds)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan add all the ingredients for the broth and bring to boil. Once boiled, lower the heat just to keep it warm.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once warm, add the cinnamon and then the garlic, and stir for a minute, being careful not to burn the garlic or it will get bitter. Then, bring the temperature to medium-high heat, add the orzo and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Next, pour a ladle of broth into the pan and stir constantly. Once it dries out, repeat.
- In about 10 minutes, instead of broth, add the wine and stir. Then, continue the same process, pouring broth for another 10-15 minutes until the orzo has an al dente texture.
- When ready, remove the pan from the heat, add the nutritional yeast right away, mix well and serve.
- Serve while still warm, adding freshly ground pepper. If you like white wine, this is a great opportunity to enjoy it along with this delicious dish.
- The secret for a delicious orzotto is in the broth and stirring. The richer the flavor of the broth, the more tasty the result. The more you stir, the better the texture will be in the end. Especially, each time the liquids begin to dry out, you should keep stirring.
- To save time, instead of our broth you can use a ready-made one. Either from a package or one of our own we have kept in the freezer. You can also make a quick broth by boiling water and adding a bouillon cube or a mixture of vegetables or spices and herbs. If you use ready-made broth or bouillon cube make sure it's vegan. You can also use plain water, though we do not recommend it as it won't add any extra flavor.