Spinach with rice (Greek spanakorizo). A simple but incredibly delicious everyday food. It's vegan, fasting, very nutritious, with very few calories and costs less than 2 euros for 6 servings.
Our recipe for vegan Greek spanakorizo is simple, economical and delicious! It is based on the traditional recipe, but what makes it stand out is the tomato and the leek. If we add turmeric, the rice will acquire a wonderful golden color and will become even more presentable and delicious.
Enjoy it today!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Delicious Greek spanakorizo in 35 minutes (with leeks and tomatoes)
- Wash your vegetables and rinse the rice. Squeeze the spinach lightly, pressing it into your fists. Finely chop the onion, garlic, leek, spring onions, and dill, and grate the tomato. Heat the broth (or water) and keep it warm at a low temperature.
Vegan Greek spanakorizo
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium to high heat. Sauté the onion for 2 minutes, and add the leeks and spring onions, sautéing for another 2 minutes. Add the garlic and rice, stirring constantly, for 2 more minutes.
- Then, add a cup of broth (or water) and stir frequently until the rice absorbs most of the liquid. Repeat the process by adding another cup of broth and then another one.
- Next, add the last cup of broth along with the spinach, dill, tomato and spices. Stir well, lower the temperature and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the lemon, stir and it's ready!
- Serve as it is, with freshly ground pepper or/and lemon.
- You can present your dish very nicely by adding lemon slices and dill.