Most people are used to cooking lentils as soup. And the truth is they make a great soup! However vegan cuisine has particularly honored lentils as they can be used as minced "meat" to make a vegan loaf, patties, salads, Greek soutzoukakia, "meatballs", and anything else you can imagine!
In this recipe, we will see their simplest and quickest use. That is, in a salad that can be served as an appetizer as well as a main course. Don't let its simplicity fool you. It is super flavorful and with satisfying textures. It is maintained for at least 2 days in the fridge (if you don't add the sauce).
It's easy, quick and affordable, but most of all delicious, super nutritious and vegan! Its simplicity makes it ideal for quick meals, but also when you unexpectedly have guests coming over.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Lentil salad with delicious sweet and sour curry sauce
- 2 cups lentils boiled or canned (or 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 Florina pepper cut in half and then into thin slices
- ½ yellow bell pepper (or green) cut into strips
- 3 ribs celery (without the leaves) cut into thin slices
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 carrot cut into thin slices
- ¼ tsp curry (add in the water you boil the lentils)
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp pekmez/grape molasses or 1½ tsp unprocessed sugar
- 1 tsp curry
- salt and pepper
Lentils (if you use canned ones, skip this step)
- Carefully remove any stones from the lentils, and rinse them thoroughly in a strainer.
- In a pot, heat 2 liters/4.4 pounds of water adding the curry. Once it boils, pour in the lentils and continue boiling over low heat for about 25 minutes or until softened, but not mushy. Depending on the lentils you'll use this time may vary.
- When they're ready, remove them from the pot, strain them and let them cool.
- In a bowl stir well all the ingredients for the sauce.
- In a salad bowl gently combine all the salad ingredients.
- Five minutes before serving, add the sauce and stir lightly.
- You can serve it as salad, appetizer, side dish or main course.
- To reduce the time you need, while the lentils boil, prepare the vegetables you will use.
- The lentils should be boiled, but not mushy. They must maintain their shape and not split their skin during boiling. To achieve this, boil over low heat, remove from boiling water and strain.
- Ideally, the lentils should have cooled before mixing them with the rest of the ingredients. If they're hot, the other vegetables may soften and lose their crunchy texture.
- You can also use other vegetables of your choice such as arugula, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, white and purple cabbage.