Stew is a traditional Greek food. Of course, this recipe is vegan and super tasty! The main ingredient is cauliflower. The onions that come with it are the ones that make this recipe a... stew.
As a plant-based recipe it is also fasting. It is cooked in a pot and served as a main course. Of course you can make it more "intense"* and serve it as an appetizer.
A simple and very quick recipe.
Cauliflower stew. A simple vegan recipe you'll love!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Cauliflower stew (vegan)
- 1 cauliflower cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 onions cut in half and then into 3-4 wide strips
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 2 carrots cut into sticks
- 5 tomatoes grated
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (use half to sauté the cauliflower and the other half for the stew)
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup red vinegar from grapes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon or ¼ tsp ground
- ¼ tsp allspice
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot pour the ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the allspice and cinnamon and sauté the onions until softened.
- Add the tomato paste and stir for half a minute.
- Then add the tomatoes, the wine, the vinegar, the garlic, and the bay leaves. Cover the pot and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour the other ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil in a pan and heat over medium heat. Sauté the cauliflower with the carrots until they soften and have some color and set aside.
- After simmering the sauce for 40' add the cauliflower and carrots you sautéed. Simmer for another 15 minutes and the stew is ready!
- Serve while still warm, but you can also enjoy it cold.
- Serve it as it is or with rice as a side dish.
- It's perfectly accompanied with white wine or beer.