Vegan beetroot pesto!
A unique, colorful and extremely enjoyable vegan recipe for our dinner table.
Very often we are looking for quick, easy, economical and of course vegan recipes for our dinner table. Well, this is one of them! Pasta with beetroot pesto. We can call it pesto, paste or sauce... it doesn't make much difference. It is super tasty and that is enough.
Our vegan pesto has a wonderful falvor, as garlic spices it up, the nutritional yeast, olive oil and walnuts give a creamy texture, and vinegar is what gives our pasta not only the necessary acidity, but also in combination with beets a special and unique flavor. Thus, our pasta acquires this quality of every-day food that you just can not stop eating.
No need to talk about its color. Magical and unique! Especially if we garnish with walnuts and parsley, we have a colorful dish that calls for you! We can also serve with arugula or basil leaves and there we have the opportunity to create a masterpiece, not only in the visual part, but also in flavor.
In addition, we have a wonderful opportunity to receive B12, this vitamin that is so necessary for our body. We just use nutritional yeast enriched with B12 (If you want to know more about B12 in the vegan diet you can read our article here).
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Pasta with beetroot pesto
- 250 g pasta
- 2 boiled beets without leaves
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast preferably B12 fortified
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Boil the beets in a pot and in another pot boil the pasta.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the boiled beets, garlic, nutritional yeast, olive oil, vinegar, lemon, salt, pepper and half the walnuts (keep the other half and the parsley for garnish).
- Once the pasta is cooked, strain it and stir it well with the beetroot pesto.
- Serve at room temperature or cold as a salad. Garnish with coarsely chopped walnuts and chopped parsley.
- You can serve it as an appetizer, maid dish, side dish or as a cold salad.
You can also garnish with:
- basil leaves
- nutritional yeast
- freshly ground pepper
- For bolder suggestions try:
- our vegan Greek feta cheese
- shredded tofu (firm tofu) with lemon and salt
- If you want, boil the pasta in vegetable broth or in water, adding a bay leaf and half a teaspoon of turmeric and onion powder.
- You can boil the beets from the previous day, in order to save time on the day of cooking. In addition, there are ready-cooked beets in supermarkets. It is not our favorite proposal, but it is also a solution.
- Keep a cup of the water the pasta boiled in so that you can dilute your pesto a little if you want.