Aglio e Olio, a unique pasta with garlic and olive oil.
Simple, quick, very economical and with unique taste!
The traditional recipe is Italian and is pronounced alio e olio, which means garlic and oil. It is simple, easy and delicious! It is one of those dishes that owes its unique and exceptional taste to its simplicity.
The secrets for a perfect vegan spaghetti Aglio e Oglio!
Olive oil is essential and that is why we suggest you use what you consider the most delicious, the one that perfectly suits your tastes, the best you have at home!
The absolute secret, however, is to flavor the olive oil with garlic. To achieve this, cut the garlic into very thin slices and put it with the olive oil in a pan at a low temperature. We roughly estimate that we will have the best possible result when the garlic starts to turn golden. That is, in about 7 minutes. We do not want it to stay raw because it will not have released its aroma and it will not be so pleasant when we eat it, neither burn it because it will be bitter. Caution! We do not want it to burn! If it becomes brown, it is better to throw it away along with the olive oil and start the process all over again at a lower temperature this time.
Traditionally, chilli flakes are also used in the recipe. After a few tests, we strongly recommend adding sweet chilli flakes, if you have, and maybe some spicy chilli flakes, if you like it spicy. If you don't have or don't like spicy, that's alright. It will turn out wonderful anyway!
To achieve a unique taste, but also the necessary texture, we add nutritional yeast (preferably enriched with B12, to get this so essential vitamin). Thus, we give a discreet creamy texture, but also a richer taste.
Finally, note that despite the amount of garlic, the taste is very mild. Of course, after your first test, you can adjust it and add more or less. The same with olive oil and chilli flakes.
If you want, you can learn more about the benefits:
- Of garlic, in our article "Garlic: the natural antibiotic“
- Of vitamin B12, in our article "Vitamin B12 and vegan diet: Everything you need to know“
- Of frying in olive oil, in our article "Frying: Olive oil or seed oil“
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Spaghetti with garlic and olive oil (Aglio e olio) - In 12 minutes!
- 1/2 package spaghetti (preferably wholewheat) or linguine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 6 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sweet chilli flakes (optional) or some spicy
- Put the olive oil, garlic and chilli flakes (if used) in a pan at a low temperature. The goal is to flavor the olive oil and you have achieved this when the garlic starts to turn golden in some spots.
- At the same time, boil the spaghetti for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package (if, for example, it says 9, boil them for 7, we want them to be al dente).
- Once the garlic is golden in some spots, add the spaghetti and half a cup of the water in which they boiled and stir.
- Add salt, nutritional yeast and parsley and stir.
- Serve immediately, plain or adding nutritional yeast, freshly ground pepper and parsley.
- If you want to make it spicier, add some spice chilli flakes.
- The best result is obtained if you heat the olive oil with the garlic and immediately start boiling the spaghetti. So, when the garlic has started to turn golden, the spaghetti will be ready for the pan.