Wonderful vegan Napoletana tomato sauce that stands out thanks to its simplicity.
Perfect for pasta and pizza.
The tomato sauce is one of the simplest and fastest recipes. Perfect for pasta sauce or as a pizza sauce.
It is also known as Neapolitan, Napolitana or Napoli sauce. Thus, her name reveals her Italian origin. But these names have prevailed outside Italy, as there they refer to it simply as salsa, i.e. sauce. The only thing Napoletana sauces have in common is tomatoes, as there are many variations, such as with basil, oregano, bay leaves, garlic, peppers, carrots, celery, olives and capers.
Our recipe is very simple, with few and carefully selected ingredients, and this is what makes it so aromatic and incredibly tasty. We choose ripe tomatoes with a rich flavor and aroma and good quality olive oil. Garlic and basil will complete our sauce in a unique way.
Our recipe can be made without onion, but also without salt. It's delicious no matter how you make it!
Try it on pasta or pizza and we are waiting for your comments!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Tomato sauce with basil for pasta and pizza (vegan Napoletana)
Ingredients for the vegan Napoletana tomato sauce
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 broadleaf basil leaves or 20 small
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper
Vegan Napoletana tomato sauce
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and basil and blend the tomatoes in the food processor or blender.
- Heat the olive oil, over medium to high temperature, and sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Lower the temperature to medium, add the garlic, sauté for half a minute, add the tomato paste right away and mix well to dissolve and extract all its aroma (for about a minute).
- Add the tomato juice, basil and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Your sauce is ready!
Use it as a sauce on pasta or pizza:
- In pasta. Serve it over the pasta or boil your half-boiled pasta in it. More specifically, boil the pasta for 2 minutes less than the time suggested on the package and for the last 2 minutes boil it in your sauce (just about the time it is done).
- On pizza. Spread it with a spoon on top of your pizza dough.
- The most important ingredient for a successful Napoletana sauce is the tomatoes. Thus, it's important to choose ripe and very tasty tomatoes.
- When you make our Napoletana sauce with pasta, start cooking by heating the water for the pasta. That way, they'll be ready almost at the same time as our sauce.
- Can be kept in the fridge for 2 days. You can preserve it in the freezer for at least 3 months and have it as a quick solution for the days when your time is limited.