These will be the fluffiest muffins you've ever tasted!
An easy, quick and delicious sweet recipe, which of course is vegan.
Whenever I can I avoid using white flour in my recipes and this is one of those times. In these banana muffins I use wholemeal flour. I also don't use white sugar. As is well known, especially if it is not organic, it is not vegan (since it is processed with animal bones). Besides, it's not healthy at all. A healthier option instead of the classic sugar is coconut sugar, which is used in a 1:1 ratio, and nowadays we can find it almost everywhere. It has a relatively low glycemic index (35-54) and contains iron, zinc, potassium, calcium and fiber.
The banana gives this fluffy and soft texture to the muffins, but also a light banana flavor that you will absolutely love!
Enjoy and I look forward to your comments!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
For this recipe you will need:
Fluffy banana muffins with chocolate chips
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour (240 g / 8.5 oz)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or unprocessed sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla (extract or powder)
- 1 cup soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 banana (about 150 g / 5.2 oz)
- 100 gr chopped vegan chocolate or semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed (combined with water, it acts as an egg substitute)
- 3 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 160°C / 320°F in fan mode.
- First, we start by adding the flaxseed and water in a cup. Stir them a bit and leave aside. The flaxseed will absorb the water and its texture will become like jelly.
- Next, in a large bowl, add the flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir, with a silicone spatula or spoon, until all solid ingredients are well combined.
- Then, mash the banana with a fork and toss in the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips (don't forget the flaxseed mixture!). Stir well until the mixture is homogenized.
- Finally, incorporate the chocolate chips using the spatula (or spoon).
- Lightly grease the muffin pan. Then, divide the mixture by filling about 3/4 of each mold.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until you insert a skewer in the muffins and comes out clean.*
- Once you remove the muffins from the oven, allow them to cool, so that they don't dissolve when you take them out. After about 5 minutes, transfer them on a wire cooling rack. They're even more delicious when they're completely cool!