Lentil soup. An everyday vegan recipe, beyond expectations, that you will love!
Lentils are very nutritious and the basis for many delicious and economical vegan recipes. They fairly deserve their place in vegan cuisine as one of its key ingredients. Especially those who are switching to the vegan diet, literally see a whole new world opening up to them when they realize they can make delicious vegan meals that they never imagined. Such as:
- Cannelloni with lentils and vegetables
- Super flavorful Greek lentil soutzoukakia
- Lentil salad with delicious sweet and sour curry sauce
- Awesome vegan loaf from lentils and veggies!
Here, we will see the most common lentil-based recipe of Greek cuisine, which is lentil soup. While it's a very common food, we elevated it using whole grain rice, fresh and sun-dried tomatoes, peppers, thyme, curry and paprika. Trust us, it's a recipe beyond expectations. Lentil soup will no longer be a boring food. What's more, we hope it will become one of your favorites!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Aromatic vegan lentil soup
- 300 g
- 1 cup
short or long-grain brown rice
- 2 large tomatoes grated
- 2 large potatoes cut into quarters
- 2 carrots chopped (or sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Florina pepper very finely chopped
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped (if you use dry, first soak in lukewarm water)
- ⅓ cup
extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- ¼ tsp thyme dried (optional)
- ¼ tsp savory dried (optional)
- ½ tsp curry
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Fill a medium sized pot with water up to the middle and add all the herbs, spices, garlic and onion. Bring to boil and then lower to medium heat.
- Rinse the rice with plenty of water, and add it to the pot with the grated tomatoes, the Florina pepper and the sun-dried tomatoes. Keep simmering.
- Spread the lentils on a large dish and clear them up from any little stones. Rinse them and add them to the pot along with the potatoes and carrots. Continue simmering for another 25 minutes, or until lentils are ready.
- Then turn off the heat, add the olive oil, and leave the pot on for another 10 minutes. Taste and if you want add some salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Potatoes add density to the soup and kids love them! You can, also, make a quick purée with them, that even the most demanding kids usually like 🙂
- The fresher the lentils, the faster they boil. If you know the boiling time of the ones you will use, add them to the pot later or earlier than indicated in the basic recipe.
- As soon as you add the lentils to the pot, reduce heat to a simmer so they do not "break". At high temperatures, due to boiling, they are violently stirred and dissolved.