Vegan "haddock" (bakaliaros) from tofu with Greek potato and garlic purée (skordalia) in 25 minutes!
A delicious and easy vegan recipe that will amaze you!
Vegan "haddock" (bakaliaros) with Greek potato and garlic purée (skordalia) in 25 minutes! Our vegan "haddock" is made of tofu (firm tofu) wrapped in nori seaweed sheets and dipped in a delicious batter.
For those who do not know:
- Tofu is a product of soy beans. The beans are boiled, the excess liquids are removed and the pulp is compressed and a white soft mixture is created which is usually sold in rectangular shaped pieces and has an off-white color. It is almost tasteless and this makes it irresistible, as it allows us to determine its taste with marinade or spices. The most common types at the moment in Greece are the soft (silken tofu) and a harder one (firm tofu).
- Nori sheets are seaweed which are processed to become very thin dried sheets of very dark green color (up to black we'd say). Nori seaweed has become famous as it is used to roll sushi maki and they are the ones that give the seafood flavor we want to the tofu.
- Both tofu and nori seaweed can be found in stores of organic products, Asian products and in several super markets.
The batter that contains corn flour, beer and spices (onion, garlic, curry and cayenne pepper) gives a wonderful taste but also a delicious crunchy crust. Its appearance is mouth-watering and the best thing is that it is an impressive but also very simple recipe.
It is a unique experience! Crunchy on the outside with a rich taste, pleasantly soft with a neutral taste in the middle, and in between the nori seaweed with its unique texture and sea flavor that makes it stand out.
If you do not have tofu and nori seaweed yet, make sure you get them and try our vegan recipe as soon as possible!
Enjoy it and we are waiting for your comments!
If you want more ideas about the way we cook our tofu, see our vegan recipes:
- Vegan Greek kayanas with tofu, onion and peppers
- Vegan Greek feta cheese in 5 minutes (fasting recipe)
- Vegan Imam Bayildi with crispy tofu, allspice and cinnamon (without frying)
- Caramelized tofu with basmati in 20 ′ - General Tso's tofu
- Chinese soup in 30 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Vegan "haddock" (bakaliaros) with Greek potato and garlic purée (skordalia) in 25 minutes!
Vegan "haddock" (bakaliaros)
- 2 blocks firm tofu
- 2 bay seaweed nori
- 3/4 cup beer
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp curry
- ¼ tsp dried ground cayenne pepper
Greek potato and garlic purée (skordalia)
- 1½ kg potatoes
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp red vinegar
- ½ cup water boiled potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
Execution of our vegan recipe "haddock" (from tofu) with Greek potato and garlic purée (skordalia)
Greek potato and garlic purée (skordalia)
- Boil the potatoes until softened. Put them in a large bowl, mash them with a fork, add the garlic (crushed), olive oil, vinegar, water and salt, and mix well.
- Mix all the batter ingredients well in a bowl or deep dish.
Vegan "haddock" from tofu
- Cut each tofu block with a knife into 8 pieces. First lengthwise, in 2 large fillets and then each one in 4. Also, at 8 pieces cut the nori sheets (with a knife) and with each piece of nori, wrap around each piece of tofu. See the pictures.
- Heat the oil (preferably olive oil) well in a pan or deep fryer. Dip each piece of vegan "haddock" in batter and then fry for half a minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve in a shallow dish 4 full tablespoons of skordalia and 3 pieces of vegan "haddock" from tofu next to it.
- You can decorate your plate with lemon slices and parsley and a little olive oil on top of the skordalia.
- To save time, start by boiling the potatoes, and while they are boiling prepare your batter and vegan "haddock".
- The skordalia, the way we suggest, is relatively mild. If you want it stronger, we can add extra 1-2 cloves of garlic.
- To wrap each piece of tofu well with the nori sheet, wrap the nori around the tofu and hold it firmly for a few seconds with your hands, so that it sticks to the tofu due to its moisture. Place the pieces of vegan "haddock" on a plate (with the ends of the nori sheet facing down) so that the seaweed sticks well on the tofu with their weight and humidity. If the nori sheet does not completely wrap the tofu, that's fine, just make sure it sticks well.
- In order for the potatoes to boil faster, peel and slice in long spears. Optionally, add turmeric to the boiling water, for a beautiful color but also for its antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.