These raw vegan truffles will become your new breakfast! They're so easy and quick to make and have endless coating options. They'll boost your energy and they're also a super healthy and nutritious dessert for kids! You can even make them with them. Especially when coating them with coconut, cocoa or anything else you want, they'll love the process!
And the most important part? They're sugar-free! They get all their sweetness from medjool dates and orange juice.
With only six ingredients (dates, almonds, cocoa, orange, coconut, cardamom) you can make a delicious and healthy vegan chocolate sweet for you and your children!
Let's take a look at some facts about a few of these ingredients to see how much your body will benefit from the truffles you'll make.
Dates contain many nutrients, such as protein, fiber, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. They are antioxidants, they have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects, and appear to protect against some forms of cancer. They, also, contribute to brain activity and hypertension reduction and help people with constipation.
Almonds, among others, contain magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, protein, fiber and good fats. They boost the immune system and brain function, they control diabetes and lower your cholesterol.
Cocoa, just like almonds, contains iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus. It's antioxidant, it strengthens the immune system, lowers the blood pressure and improves the mood.
Cardamom is a spice with many beneficial properties for our body. It helps with digestion, it's anti-inflammatory, it regulates blood pressure, removes toxins, cleanses the kidneys and helps fight depression. Also, researches have shown that it might have anti-cancer activity.
As you can see these raw vegan chocolate truffles, not only are they delicious but they're also a superfood. Try them and you'll thank me 😉
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Heavenly sugar-free raw vegan chocolate truffles!
- Then put the orange juice and dates into the blender (don't forget to remove the pits!). Blend until they turn into a paste. If you don't have a blender or the one you have is not powerful enough, simply chop the dates with a knife as finely as possible. Add the dates with the orange juice in the bowl with the almonds.
- Next, add in the bowl the cocoa, the shredded coconut and cinnamon or cardamom (if you choose to).
- Mix well, first with a spoon and then using your hand. Once the ingredients are homogenized, your mixture will seem like a dough. Put the mixture in the refrigerator for 10'-15' to tighten up a little bit so you can shape the truffles more easily.
- Spread some shredded coconut on a plate and some cocoa powder on another to roll your truffles on.
- Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and start forming small balls with your hands (about 4 cm/1½ in of diameter). Roll them one by one on the coating you want. You can also leave some truffles without any coating. They're just as enjoyable!
- Your truffles are ready! You can enjoy them right away, but I personally prefer to leave them in the fridge for a while. Either way they're amazing!
- I keep the dates in the fridge, so the time I let the mixture in the fridge to "tighten up" can be reduced to 5'-10 '.
- Use cardamom if you like more intense flavors or, if you want a milder flavor, we suggest you use cinnamon.
- There are infinite options for coating. Other than coconut and cocoa, you can use shredded cookies (vegan of course), carob powder or ground nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
- Store in an airtight container for many days. Although I'm sure they'll be gone in less than 2 days 🙂