Heartwarming vegan bean soup with tomato, carrot and celery, that needs only 10 minutes of our time.
"Fasolada" is the Greek name of the traditional beans' soup, with white beans and vegetables. Traditional food of Greek cuisine that you can find in other Mediterranean countries too. In Greece is often referred as "national food", "traditional bean soup" or "fasoulada". Strongly associated with periods of poverty in Greek history, as it is very economical and filling food.
Its main ingredient is beans. They are usually white, medium or small in size, and are cooked with onions, carrots and celery. The best known versions are with tomato (red) or without (white).
It is what we would call "homemade" food. Especially admired on cold winter days. One of these foods that is warming our hearts ️♥️
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we get a percentage, at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, allaboutvegans.com earns from qualifying purchases.
Heartwarming bean soup (vegetarian & vegan)
- 250 g white beans (any type of small or medium size)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp celery
- 1 carrot
- 2 bay leaves optionally
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp curry
- ½ tsp sweet paprika or smoker
- Salt and pepper
Vegan white bean soup
- Finely chop the onion and celery, grate the tomato, cut the carrot into slices and put them together with all the other ingredients in a medium saucepan. Add water almost until it is full and simmer for an hour or until the beans are soft.
- Serve hot, plain, with lemon or olive oil. Serve with fresh bread, toasted garlic bread, olives or sun-dried tomatoes.
- ½ κ.γ. turmeric powder (antioxidant and gives a nice yellow color)
- 3 tbsp. peppers chopped (red or green too)
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 whole potato (it turns out very tasty and gives density to the soup)
- ½ κ.γ. chili flakes, ¼ κ.γ. ground dried cayenne pepper or 4 drops of Tabasco for a more spicy result
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste